Tuesday, December 7, 2010

beat 249 - lived



"Oooh, it's a bad heart. Well that's what the doctor told me. It may be a bad heart but my heart is love. Every time I do something, I do it with love. I never get angry, never holler, I've never spank my kids. I had a very good life with a husband that I never fought with. We never swore at each other, it was always a very strong respect. We were together for 59 and a half years. I cannot believe it. Or that I'm already 95 years old. Only when I get up from my seat do I believe my age. Oh and now I'm getting wrinkles. Agh. Truth is, I could go at any minute. They told me to wear this pendant thing, in case of an emergency. I don't wear it. If your gonna go, your gonna go. If your time is up, it's up. But the longer you live, the more you have to do. I have things I haven't completed here yet, that's why I'm still around. So I go and I do. I shop, volunteer, I don't bother anyone. 
My husband and I had a lovely life. I still have all his love letter from when he was in the war. I gave them to my granddaughter because I was going to destroy them but someone stopped me. I didn't want anyone to see them, it's my private life. We had our secrets, that's what I like. You know, when my husband was in the service he'd write me letters and tell me he'd take me to Europe when he returned, he said it was a wonderful place. And you know, he did. We went all over the place, just us and it was a grand time. I've seen all the countries. But it was home that was wonderful with him...every Sunday he'd go to the market and buy cheese and half a pound of ham, a newspaper and Entenmann's cake. Then he'd buy a rose. He didn't have to say he loved me. It was the thing he'd do. I knew it.
 Can I tell you something? I love bingo. Oh how I love it."


-Palma, Port Chester, NY

2 comments:

  1. Palma,

    I love this entry! Also that you never fought with your husband.. :) Or at least that your marriage was so happy that you are able to remember it this way! Inspiring.

    P.S. Nicole, are you still looking for new "hearts"? I'd love to be a part of this diverse group of people! You can find me on my own blog at www.suzannebrandsen.wordpress.com, see if I'd be a good fit. Best wishes!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for visiting the site and for your comment. email me directly so we can set something up and you can be part of the project. xo
    nfasolino@mac.com

    ReplyDelete